Friday, September 22, 2023

HOMEMADE VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP




Fall is here and with it, cravings of heartier meals and something to warm us.  Maybe even a recipe that was Mom's or handed down through the family over the years. 

My Mama loved to make Vegetable Beef Soup often during the winter months. As a child, I can't say that vegetables were my favorite thing but, I did love my Mama's soup. 


My mama in her Senior graduation photo. She graduated at 16!

Whenever I make Vegetable Beef Soup, I feel my mama nearby, even though she has been gone 18 years this week. I called my mom "Mama" because we are from the South and so she will always be my Mama.  I wanted my kids to call me Mama, too, but my husband had called his mother Mom so before I knew it, that was what I was to my kids. Oh well.

Recently we began purchasing a quarter beef 2 or 3 times a year from a local family who raise cattle without hormones, antibiotics, and that are grass-fed. The taste is amazing! I thawed out soup bones to make this soup and the amount of meat on the bones was surprising--much more than I expected. Really pleased with the quality and taste of the beef we receive. We recently placed our 3rd order for a quarter beef.


Yummy and lots of vitamins, minerals, and proteins!




Without further ado, I will present our

HOMEMADE VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP

1 to 2 pounds of beef soup bone

Salt and pepper to taste

1 TBSP minced garlic (I used Kirkland brand)

3 to 4 whole carrots, scrubbed or peeled and sliced

1 to 2 zucchini squash, washed and sliced thinly (about 1/4" thick)

One can green beans with juice added to soup

One can Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles (we like a little spice but you can also use a small can of tomato paste if you prefer)

In stock pot, place the soup bones and enough water to cover bones. Place on stove and bring to boil, cook till done/tender.  Move to large platter and pull meat from bones; add back to stock. Add salt and pepper, garlic, green beans, and Rotel or tomato paste. Add sliced carrots and zucchini squash and bring to boil. Stir as needed and cook till carrots are tender. Add more water if needed for the consistency of soup that you prefer. 



I do play with the ingredients at times with what I might have on hand. Sometimes I add kidney or garbanzo beans to the soup, other times I might add small potatoes in.  I think some of the best meals I have cooked, I just threw together and I bet that has been the experience of many!

I hope you enjoyed our post today. 
Thanks for stopping by!

MOST POPULAR POST AT PARTY #438!
Inspire Me Monday



13 comments:

  1. Your vegetable beef stew looks wonderful! We also enjoy making stews during the colder months. It was wonderful to read that making this stew brings back fond memories of your Mama. I'm sure those visits with her are worth cherishing. I'm looking forward to trying out your recipe when the weather gets colder. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Crazy Little Love Birds link party #6. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Stephanie. Thanks for hosting Crazy Little Love Birds, too!

      Delete
  2. Donna, this sounds fantastic! You gave me the memory of my parents vegetable soup.
    Visiting today from Crazy Little Love Birds #20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Paula. It's funny how often food brings back childhood memories.

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! I love all the added vegetables. And I love the connection this recipe has to memories--those are the best kind, I think! Visiting from Dare to Share linkup. I'd love to have you share this post at my Will Blog for Comments weekly linkup that opens in a couple of hours, too. :) https://lifetalesbooks.blogspot.com/p/calling-fellow-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will pop over! Thanks for commenting, too.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing this post at the Will Blog for Comments #8 linkup--I'm glad you did. Hope to see you there again this week. Can't wait to make this soup. :)

      Delete
  4. That is a beautiful soup!! Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner party. Hope your upcoming weekend is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the party. Pretty photo of your mama.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite recipes are always those with a story...nice!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips